1879 - today
- ElringKlinger AG has received an order for metal battery housings from a global Tier 1 supplier. The battery housings are to be used in commercial vehicle and city bus applications planned for the US market.
- ElringKlinger has been awarded a new high-volume series production contract covering a period of several years. ElringKlinger will supply the BMW Group with cell contact systems for the new series of "NEUE KLASSE" electric models.
- EKPO Fuel Cell Technologies GmbH (EKPO) has received an order from a European automotive manufacturer for fuel cell stacks for use in a future production vehicle. The agreement includes the development of a customized stack for the future fuel cell production vehicle of the globally active OEM.
ElringKlinger received the certificate for joining the Climate Alliance of the state of Baden-Württemberg in May 2022. With the Climate Alliance, the state and participating companies aim to make a joint contribution to a more sustainable economy. The climate protection agreement sets out specific measures for achieving corporate climate protection targets. In it, ElringKlinger undertakes to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and make its energy consumption even more efficient. The goal is to achieve Group-wide CO2 neutrality from 2030.
ElringKlinger AG is establishing a new plant in Neuffen, around 10 km from the Group's headquarters in Dettingen/Erms, which will be home to important future technologies. In addition to the Battery Technology division, activities of the Drivetrain division will also be relocated there.
- ElringKlinger and Plastic Omnium start a partnership in fuel cell technology. Joint venture EKPO Fuel Cell Technologies for development and mass production of fuel cell stacks for CO2-neutral mobility will be created.
- Agreement between Airbus and ElringKlinger for a strategic partnership within the area of fuel cell technology. Joint goal of significant reduction in aviation emissions.
- ElringKlinger AG and the Dutch vehicle manufacturer VDL Bus & Coach BV conclude a fuel cell partnership (development and industrialization of fuel cell stacks and systems for mobile and stationary applications).
- 140th anniversary of ElringKlinger: In 1879 Paul Lechler founded a company for technical products and gaskets. In the meantime ElringKlinger has evolved into a highly diversified player with global operations.
- ElringKlinger sets up an applications and engineering center in Suzhou, China. The first fuel cell application testing stations are expected to begin operation in 2019.
- Creation of a Research & Development Center at ElringKlinger's headquarters in Dettingen/Erms – with a focus on battery and fuel cell technology.
- Founding of ElringKlinger Manufacturing Indiana, Inc., Fort Wayne, USA, and ElringKlinger Fuelcell Systems Austria GmbH, Wels, Austria.
- Having focused to an increasing extent on electromobility, ElringKlinger introduces a dedicated Management Board function for this area. It is headed by Theo Becker. Reiner Drews is appointed Chief Operating Officer.
- ElringKlinger withdraws from the business field of exhaust gas purification. Sale of Hug Engineering AG, Elsau, Switzerland, formally completed as of March 1, 2018.
- ElringKlinger continues to invest in its German sites with the completion of a new logistics center at Plant 2 in Dettingen/Erms. The centerpiece will be a modern high-bay warehouse some 21 meters in height, 52 meters wide, and 69 meters long; storage capacity will amount to 14,000 pallet spaces.
- ElringKlinger and Sichuan Chengfei Integration Technology Co., Ltd. (CITC) establish a joint venture company for the development, production, and distribution of lithium-ion battery modules. This deal will expand the company’s range of services: CITC adds expertise in the field of cell production, while ElringKlinger will contribute additional module components such as highly innovative cell contact systems and cell casings.
- Walter H. Lechler steps down as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of ElringKlinger AG for reasons of age. He will continue to serve the Supervisory Board as honorary chairman. His place will be taken by Klaus Eberhardt, who has been a member of the ElringKlinger AG Supervisory Board since May 2013.
- Strategic advancement in the area of innovative drive systems for hybrid and all electric vehicles: ElringKlinger AG acquires a strategic interest of 27% in the engineering firm hofer AG and a 53% majority stake in hofer powertrain products GmbH, a subsidiary of the Nürtingen-based group.
ElringKlinger inaugurates a new building at its existing production site in Bursa, Turkey. ElringKlinger has been represented in Turkey since 2009. The new structure, which spans approximately 10,500 square meters is mainly used for the production of thermal shielding systems and specialty gaskets.
ElringKlinger expands its business activity in China by establishing a new factory in Suzhou with an ultra-modern production area. ElringKlinger produces innovative lightweight plastic parts at the plant.
Expertise and capacity in the field of mold production enhanced: ElringKlinger AG takes over the business activities of the insolvent mold and toolmaking production company Maier Formenbau GmbH of Bissingen/Teck.
- ElringKlinger AG and Sensor-Technik Wiedemann GmbH (STW) from Kaufbeuren agree to collaborate on the development and production of lithium-ion battery modules and systems.
- The ElringKlinger Group concludes a license agreement for new kinds of lightweight metal/plastic components with a premium German car maker. The license agreement will mean considerable revenue potential for ElringKlinger over the years ahead.
- Acquisition of additional three per cent of the shares of ElringKlinger Kunststofftechnik GmbH (now 77.5 percent).
- ElringKlinger acquires US automotive supplier M&W Manufacturing Co., Michigan, thus strengthening its position in the North American – and global – market for control plates used in automatic transmissions.
- ElringKlinger Kunststofftechnik GmbH acquires all interests in Polytetra GmbH. Among the core competencies of the plastics specialist from Mönchengladbach are its processing capabilities with regard to fluoropolymers and classic high-performance plastics.
- ElringKlinger opens a new plant built in Gumi, South Korea on a site spanning 26,000 square meters; its focus is on the production of cylinder-head and specialty gaskets, shielding systems and lightweight plastic components.
- Clear commitment to Bietigheim-Bissingen: ElringKlinger Kunststofftechnik GmbH (EKT) extends its HQ to include additional production space and new offices as well as conference and staff rooms.
- Construction work commences on a new plant operated by ElringKlinger China Ltd. (EKCI) in Suzhou. The new site is three times bigger than before – at around 67,000 square meters – and underlines the importance of the Asian market to ElringKlinger.
- The Japanese joint venture ElringKlinger Marusan Corporation is to be fully consolidated effective from December 31, 2013.
- Acquisition of an additional interest in the exhaust gas purification specialist Hug Engineering AG. ElringKlinger now holds a 93.67% interest in the Swiss subsidiary.
- ElringKlinger acquires the remaining 10% interest in Elring Parts Ltd., United Kingdom, thus becoming the sole owner of this company, which operates in the aftermarket sector.
- Founding of ElringKlinger (Thailand) Co., Ltd., situated in Bangkok, Thailand. The company is a 100% subsidiary of ElringKlinger Marusan Corporation and will act as a distribution company in the first instance.
- ElringKlinger transacts the full acquisition o the South Korean joint venture ElringKlinger Korea. Co., Ltd. and built a new state-of-the-art production facility at the new site in Gumi, which operates since 2014.
- Tooling specialist Hummel-Formen GmbH, Lenningen, which was acquired by ElringKlinger in 2011, is merged into ElringKlinger AG. Since then, the Lenningen site has been managed as a plant of ElringKlinger AG.
- ElringKlinger acquires the South African subsidiary to 100%.
- PT. ElringKlinger Indonesia, a newly formed company in Indonesia, starts its operations.
- ElringKlinger acquires metal housings manufacturer Thawa GmbH, based in Thale, Saxony-Anhalt. The entity was merged into ElringKlinger AG. The site Thale is operating within the field of exhaust gas purification and manufactures housings for diesel particulate filters and catalytic converters.
- ElringKlinger AG has closed the transaction relating to the acquisition of the Static Flat Gaskets business from Freudenberg Group, Weinheim, Germany.
- Acquisition of a 90% interest in mold and tool maker Hummel-Formen, Lenningen/Germany, effective from October 1, 2011.
- Closing of takeover of a 66.7% interest in the Swiss exhaust treatment specialist Hug Group.
First contract for series production of cell contact systems used in lithium-ion batteries.
ElringKlinger AG promoted to MDAX.
- Acquisition of Sevex AG based in Sevelen, Switzerland, and its subsidiaries in the USA and China.
- Official inauguration of Indian ElringKlinger factory in Ranjangaon (near Pune)
- 100% takeover of Spanish subsidiaries ElringKlinger, S.A. and ElringKlinger Sealing Systems, S.L., merger with ElringKlinger, S.A.
- Start of ElringKlinger Engineered Plastics (Qingdao) Commercial Co., Ltd. in Qingdao, China.
Founding of a development and distribution company in Japan, (ElringKlinger Marusan Corporation, Tokyo).
Inclusion of ElringKlinger AG in SDAX.
- Registered shares in ElringKlinger AG traded in Frankfurt and Stuttgart.
- Founding of ElringKlinger Logistic Service GmbH, Rottenburg am Neckar.
Founding of a further subsidiary at the Spanish site of Reus (Tarragona): ElringKlinger Sealing Systems, SL.
- Merger of Elring Klinger GmbH with parent company ZWL Grundbesitz- und Beteiligungs-AG and renaming as ElringKlinger AG.
- Purchase of gasket manufacturer Versatech Sealing Systems, Inc., Leamington/Ontario, Canada, (ElringKlinger Canada Inc.).
Founding of Klinger Automotive Ltd. in Skelton/GB, ElringKlinger (United Kingdom) Ltd.
- Elastomer Technology/Modules division established.
- US factory opened in Livonia (near Detroit), USA (ElringKlinger of North America Inc.).
- New plant built and inaugurated in Toluca, Mexico (ElringKlinger Mexico S.A. de C.V.).
- Founding of ElringKlinger Motortechnik GmbH, Idstein.
- Founding of ElringKlinger S.p.A, Mazzo di Rho (near Milan), Italy.
- New plant built and inaugurated in Redcar: ElringKlinger (UK) Ltd, United Kingdom.
- ElringKlinger do Brasil Ltda. opened in Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Founding of Elring Kunststoff-Technik GmbH, Bietigheim, from former plastics technology unit.
Elring GmbH merges with Automotive Division of Richard Klinger GmbH to form ElringKlinger GmbH.
- Founding of a joint venture, Changchun Elring Gaskets Co. Ltd. in China.
- Establishment of Thermal and Acoustic Shielding Systems division.
Founding of a joint venture, Jeil Elring Co. Ltd. in Changwon/South Korea
Elring sets up a joint venture, Elring Gaskets (PTY) Ltd. in Johannesburg, RSA
Elring acquires shares in the company Guma S.A. in Spain, now ElringKlinger S.A.
- Production and distribution of Lechler gaskets consolidated within Lechler Elring Dichtungswerke KG.
- Elring production and development moves from Stuttgart/Bad Cannstatt to Dettingen/Erms.
The first Klinger cylinder-head gaskets are produced.
The first Lechler cylinder-head gaskets are produced.
Lechler starts manufacturing gaskets in Stuttgart.
Lechler OHG sells the first gaskets to the automotive industry at the turn of the century.
Richard Klinger establishes an engineering office in Vienna.
Paul Lechler establishes a merchandising business in Stuttgart for technical products and gaskets (origin of the future Elring GmbH).